Friday, June 24, 2011

In Honor of My Daughter

We have a tendency to write something in "memory" of someone after they pass away. I want to give honor while those I love are alive. Today is my daughter's birthday. She is thirty-seven today if I remember correctly, lol. I'm thinking back when she was so small, first born. She weighed six pounds and 13 ounces. What a tiny person she was. I can't remember exactly how long she was but sure it was around 19-21" in length. At that time she was the smallest baby born to my side of the family.

I'm going to share something with you that I've only shared with one or two other people. I was a backslider when I had my daughter. I had accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour when I was fifteen years old. One day I'll share with you how I know I was really a child of God then. I was going through so many family problems that I blamed God for not working everything out for me the way "I thought" it should be worked out. So I turned my back on him and took my life back into my own hands at the age of 17. There was not a day that went by that I was not aware I was living my life against the Father's will. I became very rebellious. Even though I turned my back on God and tried to live a good life on my own, temptations were worse. [2 Peter 2:20-22 20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. 21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.] When I realized I was expecting a little girl I chose the name "Christina" as my way of letting the Lord know I was so aware of his presence and I still loved him. I know it may not mean much to you but it meant to the world to me.

I've worked hard at being a good mother and raising my children in a good loving home. I've enjoyed raising my daughter. She's been very special to her dad and myself. I remember stories my mother use to tell us about our own childhood. She would tell us how she would line my brothers and sisters up on the couch so she could mop the floors and they would sit there until the floor dried. My daughter was the same way. I would sit her on the couch when she was big enough to sit there by herself and I'd give her a couple of books to look at. She'd sit right there until the floor dried. I enjoyed shopping for her. The cute little dresses with bows to match. I could play with her hair all day. It was like playing with a doll. I guess in a sense we never grow up. My greatest desire for my daughter was that she grow up to be a strong woman of God and serve him for the entirety of her adult life. I can't be there to control her and I can't be there to make sure she never gets hurt or make the right decisions. Once she came to the age of accountability she became responsible for her own soul. The only thing I can do is pray for her and be there for her when she needs me.

She is now the mother of two teenage boys and my prayer for her is that she raises them in the admiration and godly fear of the Lord. I know I'm being prideful but I have two of the sweetest grandsons God could bless anyone with. I love my family.

Happy Birthday Christina. My prayer for you today on your birthday is that you are so aware of God's calling on your life and you submit to his will. You will never find true happiness without the Lord to guide you. I pray safety and health over your life. I'm proud of you sweetie! I love you forever and a day!

No comments:

Total Pageviews