Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ruth...Who Wouldn't Want To Be Like Her?

Did you know the book of Ruth is such a joy to read? I was so fascinated how dedicated Ruth was to her mother-in-law. After Ruth's husband died, which was Naomi's son, she dedicated her life to a people who did not originally care for her or her people at all. But Ruth won them over with her obedience, humility, and again, dedication to her mother-in-law. Ruth took Naomi's god as her god.

A mother-in-law and daughter-in-law relationship is a very important one. We may have the attitude, "I married you, not your family" but that is so far from the truth. We inherit one another's family when we marry.

To keep harmony in our marriages we should make a great effort to adapt to the differences in our families and spouse's family. What a great marriage we can have by being more accepting, more loving, and more willing to please toward our spouse's family. Ruth was this type of person. She did not want to leave Naomi alone after the loss of Naomi's husband and two sons. Ruth wanted to go with Naomi and make Naomi's people her people and Naomi's god her god. Naomi tried to send Ruth back to her own family but Ruth begged to stay with her mother-in-law.

This reminds me of the many young women I have heard make the comment, "I married my husband, not his family". It's so sad that many doesn't appear to care if they have their inlaws acceptance or not. I think some are afraid they won't be accepted but when you are serving a living God then He will work out things that you may think are impossible.

I enjoy loving my daughter-in-law like a daughter. I like thinking of her as my "inherited" daughter. She is such a blessing to our family and I'm sure we don't see eye to eye on everything but we can discuss those things we disagree on. We laugh together and we cry together. God blessed our family with a wonderful Christian daughter-in-law. I trust her as much as I trust my children and do not hesitate to allow her to handle financial matters for me when need be. I would like to believe our relationship is a close one, maybe not like Naomi and Ruth but close nonetheless.

Who wouldn't want to be a Ruth. A woman of dedication, obedience, very humble, and eager to please. God was very pleased with Ruth and blessed her by giving her a husband and a son. God saw how willing Ruth was to take care of her mother-in-law.

Wouldn't you like to be a Ruth? You can be, not by losing a husband and clinging to your mother-in-law, but you can be a woman of virtue as Ruth was. You, too, can be a Ruth in today's crazy world.

No comments:

Total Pageviews